Together We Can Foundation-Smart Transitions is a 501 (c) 3 charity registered in Virginia. Our mission is to improve outcomes for at-risk youth in transition to independent adult life and the workforce in Hampton Roads and Southeastern Virginia by ensuring that they are better prepared, more connected, and have a greater sense of optimism about their future.
In our 2016-17 operational year:
- We served over 900 youth with direct programming.
- 91% of youth completing our Life-Work Portfolio Course graduated from high school or earned a GED (compared with a high school completion rate of 75% for at-risk youth without intervention).
- 62% of youth completing our Life-Work Portfolio Course went on to pursue post-secondary education or technical training (compared with only 6% post-secondary study or training for at-risk youth without intervention).
- 78% of youth completing our Life-Work Portfolio Course found employment (compared with 16% of at-risk youth without intervention).
- More on Outcomes
Who We Serve
- Foster Youth
- Court Involved Youth
- Homeless Youth
- Economically Disadvantaged Youth
- Emotionally Challenged Youth
- Youth Struggling with the Transition to Adulthood
And the educators, mentors, parents, agencies, social workers, parole officers, and youth program specialists that work with these youth.
What We Do
We are the premiere provider of success skills classes and resources for young adults in Hampton Roads. We specialize in working with at-risk populations. We partner with local organizations that serve youth by providing youth classes, resources, and staff training in areas such as:
- Career identification and alignment
- Effectively building and presenting a personal brand
- Financial planning and money management for independence
- Interviewing skills and the secrets of getting hired
- Workforce development soft skills
- Leadership and self-confidence
You can click on the images below to learn more about our programs and resources and how to access them.
Life-Work Portfolio Course
The Smart Transitions Life-Work Portfolio Course encourages young people through discussion and guided exercises to explore career options and develop realistic career plans. It also guides them through the process of creating resumes and professional presentation portfolios while practicing interviewing skills and personal branding. Youth develop Life-work plans and learn the kinds of skills that help job seekers make a positive impression and land a job. Life-Work Portfolio Course.
New for 2018 is our Find Work Mobile App and ID. Now, in addition to creating a personal presentation portfolio, youth who complete our program receive a special invitation to download and activate a mobile app (IOS and Android) which not only provides a mobile-based ID card as proof of having completed the program, but a constantly updated selection of paid, volunteer, and internship opportunities from Hampton Roads businesses willing to provide preferential hiring consideration to graduates of our programs.
Smart Transitions Guides
Smart Transitions Guides and Workbooks are youth-centric publications that focus on better preparation for adult life and the workforce through self-awareness and planning. These materials are designed for youth working alone, with a mentor or coach, or in small groups to explore what it means to become an adult in ways that are proactive and ensure a successful transition to the adult world of work.
Equine Youth Challenge
The Equine Youth Challenge is a program in which youth learn to work with, care for, and ride horses. Recent studies and our own successes suggest a powerful correlation between youth working with horses and their capacity to make better choices with more self-confidence for a more successful transition to adulthood. Together We Can Foundation was an early sponsor of this program in Smithfield, Virginia and now provides youth scholarships to the program.